Monday, April 18, 2016

Laundry Soap

Well...how do you like all the snow?!!  On Facebook, some memories popped up and we had this same weather last year and the year before.  Such is April in Wyoming!

This will be a short blog post as I spent part of Saturday in Urgent Care and I am still not 100%.  But someone had asked me about my home made laundry soap and I had taken some pictures to share.

This works very well...it is even good on whites.  If there are stains, I still use a rub on stain remover but all in all I am very satisfied with this laundry soap and have used it for well over a year now.  I prefer it over the home made powdered one that I have made and used for several years.  And, as a nice surprise, there are no underarm deodorant stains on Rudi's t-shirts which even the store bought detergent did not prevent.  I just realized that lately...

This makes enough to store in a recycled vinegar bottle.  A gallon, maybe?  I use 1/2 cup for a large load, 1/4 cup for a small load and I put vinegar in the rinse dispenser instead of fabric softener.  Oh, and I will add a scoop of oxy-clean in my whites load.  Just because I don't like to use bleach if at all possible.



RECIPE:

6 Tbsp Borax
6 Tbsp Washing Soda
4 Tbsp Dawn dishwashing soap
approx 16 cups of water (I just fill up the vinegar bottle)



















Mix the Borax and the Washing Soda in a large measuring cup and add 2 cups (of the 16) of boiling water.  Stir well to dissolve.



Add the Dawn and stir gently.

Fill the empty vinegar bottle with water...I use cold...to about 2/3 of the bottle, then add the mixture from the measuring cup.  Gently.  The Dawn will foam up and it is sort of a guessing game as to how much water to put in the bottle first because you will add more water to fill it up and the foam comes up over the top.  You know what I mean.  ;)







You can see that my vinegar bottle is not all full..that is because of the foam...had to let it settle then I added more water to almost the top.

And that's it!

And here are a few website finds:

Using Pipe Cleaners to clean your bobbin ares:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KjCnA5dwjg&feature=em-subs_digest  

A Raggy Binding Tutorial...I think it would look adorable on a baby quilt:
http://amaidenhairfern.blogspot.com/2012/05/play-quilts-w-raggy-binding-tutorial.html

And for Hexagon Lovers (me!), a great method for cutting several at a time! :
http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2015/09/how-to-cut-a-hexagon/#.VxPvPgKtb7M.mailto  Hexagons

Keep warm!
Jude

No comments:

Post a Comment