Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Four Patch Posy with Scalloped Binding

My first scalloped binding on a quilt.  I LOVE scallops but I have to say it was a bit of a *challenge*.  But worth it.  :) The blocks for this quilt were started maybe 4 or 5 years ago and since I am on a mission to get some UFO's done this year, this one was pulled out one weekend and the top put together.  I LOVE the fabric.  It reminded me of the fabric used in furniture covers back in the 40's or 50's and I seem to remember covers similar to this fabric in one of my grandmother's living rooms.  Anyhow, it *spoke* to me.  :)  The backing is the same as the border and is really pretty.

I used Darlene Zimmerman's Easy Scallop Tool for the scallops and it made it totally effortless to mark the scallops.

I did not cut out the scallops until I was finished quilting.  Then I sewed along the markings (sort of like stay stitching) and trimmed and applied the binding.  I used my regular double french fold type but perhaps should have used a single fold.  But it sewed on just fine and it turned over very well for the handsewing.  I am really pleased with this quilt!

I used Dream Cotton Select batting (love it!), So Fine thread (my favorite #516 Gondola Gold - I use this color so often!) top and bottom and the Rhapsody panto.


  1. I agree with you about the fabric. It's lovely and very similar to what I call my grandmother's cabbage roses and bark cloth decor. Love it! You did a great job.

  2. I love the scalloped edge - I did a small version of one of these. It's amazing how different they turn out!