Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Dear Janes


When I first moved to the States from Germany 5 1/2 years ago I didn't have my sewing machine or sewing things, of course. It was going to take months for them to get here. So, I had the bright idea to hand piece the Dear Jane quilt. These are the blocks I finished.

I came across the Dear Baby Jane blog and decided that I really must get this quilt going again, pulled out the blocks I had made and measured them and realized that they are all different sizes (they are supposed to be 5 inches). So...I will start over. And I think I will put these blocks on the back as a reminder of that time in my life. I am SO ashamed that I have let it go this long. But then again, I have UFO's that are older.... :o)

These original blocks have unbleached muslin as the background but I think I will use Kona cotton instead.


2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that you are working on your Dear Jane. I participated with some others in a swap, and learned that a few in our group knew nothing about piecing to size. So, when it came time to assemble my blocks, I ended up making 34 of them over! Some had been paper-pieced and not trimmed very carefully, and some were just "wonky". I knew I would not be happy with the quilt unless I repaired or replaced them. Letting the project "age" for a couple years, dreading that task, let me build up to hand-piecing the triangles for the borders. In the end, I have a quilt top that I really love . . . and should get started on the quilting! So, do whatever you need to do to make the quilt so you really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blocks are beautiful! You should put them together for a small wall hanging...

    CheriS

    http://www.cheroldsplace-cheri.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete